Friday, March 6, 2009

Since I'm sure the world is waiting, I will now pronounce my opinion of the debate over The Kindly Ones.  Of course, like many people with extremely valid opinions about books, I have not read the book in question; I'm only going by what other people have written about it.  I would like to think that there must be something worthwhile in there somewhere, or the book would not have been published in the first place.  Of course, it was originally published in France, and sometimes French taste can be a bit . . . quirky, n'est-ce pas?  But they were right about Mickey Rourke after all, weren't they, and it won the Prix Goncourt.  So maybe there is a reason for the book's existence buried in what sounds like a torrent of horror.  However, I think the following words of Gerry Donaghy, the head buyer for a bookstore in Portland, Ore., sum it up for me: "Do I [the putative reader] have the time and emotional resources to invest in a 1,000-page book on the Holocaust that sounds like a transcription of Pasolini's '120 Days of Sodom'?" 

If I want to learn how horrible the Holocaust was, a non-fiction account will do just fine.  The truth is horrible enough; it does not need to be fictionalized or embellished to make it even worse.  Sadly, true accounts of human cruelty abound; even more sadly, they are outnumbered by the actual incidences of human cruelty.  These accounts form a genre unto themselves, that must be studied if we are ever to understand how people came to perpetrate such crimes on others.  The question of the nature of evil, and how ordinary people can be swept into promulgating evil, is not only fascinating but also morally necessary to confront.  I would never advocate avoiding difficult subjects in books on either moral or aesthetic grounds.  But a fictional account of great violence must meet a different standard; we do not read fiction to learn things, in the sense of what happened when.  Fiction tells us something different; in this case, maybe what it felt like to live through a horrible time, or what it might have felt like to inflict suffering during that time, or how a mind can grow so twisted it could rationalize doing so.  So I would hope The Kindly Ones does provide something that is not available in a historical account of the Holocaust (although how the author could imagine his way into the mind of a sadistic former Nazi SS officer is a big question mark), and I'm curious to know what that something is, in an academic sense.  

I'm not a squeamish reader; in fact, I rather like dark, disturbing fiction, and have read some pretty disturbing non-fiction as well (The Rape of Nanking, for example).  I have no problem in general reading graphic descriptions of violence and sex.  I'm not objecting on prudish grounds; I just don't see myself sacrificing what little time I have to read to this book.  If somehow someday I finish my entire to-read list and have absolutely nothing left to read, I might read it, and then maybe I'll figure out what its raison d'etre is.  But if that ever happens, I'll check it out of the library.  

P.S. I'm quite peeved at Barnes & Noble for misspelling Jayne Anne Phillips' name, and thereby making me misspell it in a previous post.  As soon as I looked at the cover of her book Lark and Termite, I noticed that indeed there is an "e" at the end of Anne.  Never trust a big chain store.  

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. I think the attention given to this book might be just the thing that lures people in. Kind of like not be able to turn away from a car wreck on the highway; a morbid curiosity? I do agree with you, the reality of the situation is horrible enough there seems little need to fictionalize it.

    I also agree that "The Rape of Nanking" was a dark and emotionally difficult read. Just as difficult, although fiction, was "The Road", but I think only because I am a mother. If I were still childless, it may not have been so poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Reg! I haven't read The Road, but I loved the Cormac McCarthy books I did read, so maybe someday--I know, I'll put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete

Labels

2011 (1) 2012 (1) 2666 (1) A Gate at the Stairs (1) A Visit from the Goon Squad (1) Adam Gopnik (1) alcoholism (1) Ander Monson (1) Anne Frank (1) archives (1) Barnes and Noble (1) best (1) blog (2) blogosphere (1) book (1) book club books (1) book list (4) book lists (2) bookbook (1) books (2) Bryant Park (1) caregiving (1) coffee (1) Colm Toibin (2) Colum McCann (1) crime (2) David Shields (1) Denis Johnson (1) digital publishing (1) disclaimer (1) dragon tattoo (1) dream (1) e-book (1) e-reader (2) E.M. Forster (1) electronic writing (1) Elfreide Jelinek (1) event (1) fiction (3) Flannery O'Connor (1) Freedom (1) Freud (1) Fuckhead (1) genre fiction (1) gods (1) Hilary Mantel (1) Holocaust (1) Jayne Ann Phillips (1) Jonathan Littell (1) Judy Garland (1) Kindle (2) Krishna Das (1) Laurie Anderson (1) Let the Great World Spin (1) Lisbeth (2) literary journal (2) literary magazine (1) Lorrie Moore (1) Matthew Cheney (1) Mia Farrow (1) Michael Chabon (1) Mikael (2) mysterious (1) Mysterious Bookshop (1) mystery (1) narrative (1) Nathan Zuckerman (3) Neil Gaiman (2) Nicholson Baker (1) novel (2) novelist (1) Obama (1) Orange Prize (1) Otto Penzler (1) palate cleanser (1) Pasha Malla (1) Philip Roth (6) Philippe Petit (2) plot (1) poetry (1) poets house (1) posman books (1) preservation (1) publication (1) publishing (4) reading (1) reading room (1) Reality Hunger (2) Robert Bolano (1) self-publishing (1) Stieg Larsson (3) story (3) submission (1) summer reading (1) Susie Boyt (1) Sylvia Plath (1) Ted Hughes (1) The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (3) The Kindly Ones (1) third mind (1) Tom Robbins (1) type (1) Vanishing Point (1) vook (1) war (1) website (1) William Faulkner (2) word lovers (1) writers (1) writing (3) Zoe Heller (1)

About Me

My photo
New York, NY, United States
Overeducated mom, addled by constant interruptions due to demands of family and dog, trying to read books and write coherent sentences about them. Luckily, yoga keeps me centered. Sharing my love of yoga through teaching helps make sense of it all. I have a yoga blog at susiemarplesyoga.com. <- That's not really a picture of me. http://profile.to/susiemarples http://pinterest.com/susiem66

Followers

Search This Blog

Susie's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists
Read the Printed Word! Shop Indie Bookstores